Here are a few external resources that we can recommend to clients and/or family:
- 8 Keys to Recovery from an Eating Disorder – Carolyn Costin and Gwen Schubert Grabb
- 8 Keys to Recovery from an Eating Disorder Workbook
- Unpack your Eating Disorder – Maria Ganci and Linsey Atkins (for adolescents)
- Anorexia and other Eating Disorders: How to Help your Child Eat Well and Be Well – Eva Musby
- Help Your Teen Overcome an Eating Disorder – Lock and Le Grange
- Maudsley Parents: www.maudsleyparents.org
- The Butterfly Foundation: https://thebutterflyfoundation.org.au
- Click here for the National Eating Disorder Association’s (USA) pamphlet for parents of people with an eating disorder – some information is not applicable in Australia, but a lot of it is still very useful.
- Eating disorders First Aid Guidelines can be found here.
The Butterfly Foundation has a national support line. They not only supply helpful information and can direct you to services, but they are staffed by qualified counselors and can offer support over the phone. If you’re not sure you want to speak on the phone you can also e-mail them or use their webchat. Call 1800 33 4673 or follow the link below for more information.
The helpline is staffed 8am – midnight AEST, seven days a week.
Phone App: Recovery Record (iPhone and Android – free download)
- The Optimistic Child, by Martin Seligman
- Flourish, by Martin Seligman
POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER
- Eight Keys to Recovery from Trauma, by Babette Rothschild
- The Body Remembers, by Babette Rothschild
- The PTSD Workbook
GENERAL MENTAL HEALTH
- Change Your Thinking, by Sarah Edelman
- The Reality Slap, by Russ Harris
- The Happiness Trap, by Russ Harris
- Self-help resources: www.cci.health.wa.gov.au
- Information: www.beyondblue.org.au/
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: www.actmindfully.com.au
- More self-help resources: www.getselfhelp.co.uk/freedownloads2.htm